Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
Sedation Dentistry in Winston-Salem, NC
Nitrous Oxide is a colorless, non-irritating, sweet-smelling gas that has safely been used as a means of sedation in dentistry for many years.
During sedation with Nitrous Oxide, the patient breathes a mixture of this gas along with oxygen and is able to breathe on their own as well as remain in control of all body functions.
Occasionally, the patient may experience mild amnesia and fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation
- There is no after effect or “hangover” feeling
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds
- In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain reducing properties develop
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
You should not utilize Nitrous Oxide if you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Though there are no other major contraindications to using nitrous oxide, you may not want to use it if you have emphysema, significant chest problems, M.S., a cold or other difficulties with breathing.
At Winston Smiles, your comfort is our priority and Nitrous Oxide can provide a safe option for alleviating anxiety when needed.